1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Road Trip & A Finished Block!

After deciding to accompany my Beloved Geek Boy on a work-related road trip to the Sunshine Coast on Friday (pop over to my blog for the long version of the road trip report!!) I packed up my stitching gear to keep me occupied while he worked ...

... my favourite sewing pouch made for me by the gorgeous Joy, my favourite needle folder, a cute little fairy tin to hold my threads, my 'Watering the Garden' block and the stitching instructions. So that I didn't have to take a larger bag to fit my "Gardeners Journal" book in and so my pretty book didn't get travel damaged, I photocopied the stitching instructions and shrank them to A5 size pages so they fit nicely into my pouch ... why hadn't I thought to do this before now!!! SOOOOOOOO much easier to use than flicking through book pages all the time!!

I had quite a lot of stitching time while GB was installing high-tech video conferencing equipment and managed to finish 'Watering the Garden', so today I headed into the sewing room to put Block G together. During this process, I muttered some VERY unladylike things about rulers that don't sit still and small, slippery-little-sucker blocks that jump out of your fingers and remembered why I don't do a lot of patchwork!!! However, I persevered and the result is ...


Ta Da!! I know Anni's original quilt colours look more like summer, but it is definitely SPRING in MY garden! Tee! Hee! Hee! When I decided to join the stitch-a-long, I promised myself (and my long-suffering GB!!) that I wouldn't buy fabric to make this quilt, it all has to come from my stash. Shouldn't be a problem really, since I have just a FEW fabrics in there to choose from! Tee! Hee! Hee! It will definitely be a scrappy version of Gardeners Journal, though, I think.

And now that I have April's block finished, I can breathe a sigh of relief and feel rather chuffed that even if I'm behind for the rest of the challenge (a distinct possibility!!) I DID get the first month's block finished before the end of the month - YAY!! As a result, I think I deserve a cup of tea, so I'm off to pop the kettle on. Hope you're having fun stitching-a-long, too ... and perhaps managing NOT to mutter unladylike things while YOU sew your block together! Tee! Hee! Hee! Til next time ...

BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS

6 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

your block looks great Kris......and fantastic you have it finished "BEFORE" the end of the month.......lol......go trace May's now and with a thread here or there you will be done in no time........
excellent use of the stash....and also very pleased to hear your such a help to geek boy that you just sit and stitch and give moral support and driving company......

Chookyblue...... said...

and I forgot I love your stitchery bag....I have several with different projects in them ready to take and grab if needed......
great piecing for someone who doesn't like it.......

Helen said...

Great work Kris, your FINISHED block is terrific and all from your stash makes it even better. I always photocopy the instructions from my books as I hate to get them all mangled and it is easier to take when you go on excursions to be such a great help hehehe.

Helen

Leanne said...

Your block is so pretty.

Jindi's Cottage said...

Great colours - so bright and clear. Congratulations on finishing before the end of the month.

Jindi's Cottage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.